Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 30 mins
Total time 50 mins
2 cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup dry milk
3 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1 cup water
1 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup butternut squash, shredded
½ cup pecans (or walnuts), finely crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (or line with parchment paper).
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, dry milk, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
3. Add applesauce, egg, and water to the dry mixture. With an electric hand mixer on low speed, beat the ingredients to form a batter, then turn speed up to medium high and continue beating for an additional 2 minutes.
4. By hand, stir in carrots, squash, and nuts.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 mins or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely before serving. Top with whipped cream. original